Case Status:

If you have a case pending with USCIS, you can use the receipt number for your application (printed on your receipt notice, and starting with 3 letters) to track the status of your case here:

If you are a Joyce & Associates client, you can check the status of your case with the firm at the Client Login tab above.

If you have a case before the Immigration Court (Executive Office of Immigration Review) you can call 1-800-898-7180 to find out your next hearing date.

If you or a family member is waiting for a priority date to become current in order to immigrate to the United States, you can check the Department of State visa bulletin here:

Address Change:

It is extremely important that you keep your address updated with immigration at all times if you have an ongoing process. You can change your address online at if you have an ongoing process with USCIS.

Frequently Asked Questions

This page is meant to give general information only. There are countless factors that may impact your eligibility and the risks of any particular action. We highly recommend consulting with a knowledgeable immigration attorney if you are considering filing any kind of application. To schedule an appointment with an attorney at Joyce Associates, please go to the link schedule an appointment.

  • How do I set up an initial consultation?
    You can call us at (617) 523-1500 to set up a consultation in our Boston office. You can also request a consultation on our website and one of our staff members will be in touch with you about setting up a meeting. You can also email one of our associate attorneys to set up a consultation with them directly.
  • How much does a consultation cost?
    We charge $150 for a consultation with William Joyce, and $100 for a consultation with one of our associates. At the consultation, we will review your history and your immigration options. We ask that this fee is paid at the time you schedule your consultation in order to reserve that time on our calendars.
  • What should I bring to my initial consultation?
    You should bring any documentation that you have from immigration authorities with you to your consultation, including passports, copies of previous applications, and notices from immigration. If you have criminal history, you should also bring your documentation from criminal court to your consultation. This will help us determine what has happened in your case in the past, and what your options are in the future.
  • How much will my case cost?
    The cost of your case depends on a wide variety of factors including the type of case, and whether there are any complicating factors. We work with our clients to develop payment plans, and accept payment by cash, check, or credit card.
  • If I hire Joyce & Associates, will I win my case?
    We have had success with countless complex immigration cases, but we can never make a promise as to the outcome of a case. Success in a case depends on a lot of factors, and we caution against hiring an attorney that makes guarantees about the outcome of your case. We do promise that we will work with you closely to develop your case and that we will do everything in our power to ensure your case is successful.
  • Do I really need a lawyer to do my immigration process?
    We strongly recommend that you hire a lawyer to represent you in your immigration process. No two immigration cases are exactly alike. Immigration applications are complicated, and small mistakes can lead to long delays, missed deadlines, or even denials. We hope you decide to hire Joyce & Associates to handle your case, but most importantly, be sure that whoever you hire is a licensed attorney. Using a “notario” or individual who is not licensed to practice law can cause huge problems for your case.
  • How long will my case take?
    Processing times for immigration cases vary depending on the type of case. Some applications take a few months and some take longer. It is important to have an excellent attorney representing you in your immigration case, because often cases get stuck with the government agencies for long periods of time. If you choose to hire Joyce & Associates, we will help monitor your case to make sure the government is processing it as quickly as possible.
  • What if I do not speak English – does Joyce & Associates provide interpreters?
    We are able to provide interpreters for Portuguese, Spanish, and Mandarin. If you speak another language, we ask that you bring someone to act as your interpreter for your consultation and other appointments.
  • Who will handle my immigration case at Joyce & Associates?
    All of our cases are handled by one of our attorneys and a team of two dedicated paralegals.
  • What is the status of my case with Joyce & Associates?
    You can check the status of your case by logging in to the firm’s system at Client Login (above) using your unique user name and password.
  • What is the status of my case with USCIS?
    If your case has been filed with USCIS, you can enter the receipt number here to learn the status. You can also check national case processing times here. Keep in mind – this website is not accurate 100% of the time.
  • How do I make a payment?
    For both your initial consultation and subsequent payments, we accept cash, check, money order, or credit card. If paying by cash, check, or money order, you can drop it off in person or mail in your payment – please keep in mind that mail is not always reliable and the payment could get lost. If paying by credit card you can call in to make a payment, or sign a form authorizing Joyce & Associates to automatically charge your card monthly.
  • Can I obtain work authorization?
    This depends on what type of a case you have. Some cases allow an application for work authorization to be filed at the same time as the main application. Other cases require that your main case be approved before you receive work authorization. You can discuss your eligibility for work authorization with one of our attorneys by scheduling a consultation, or following up with your legal team at Joyce & Associates.
  • Can I obtain my green card without leaving the United States?
    This depends on how you came in to the United States originally and what type of immigration process you are pursuing. Schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys to learn more about the best process for you to try to obtain your green card.
  • What happens if my immigration application is denied?
    Many cases can be appealed after they are denied, but there are very strict deadlines for immigration appeals, and several different government agencies that handle appeals. You will need an experienced immigration attorney to help you navigate that process. Denials can also lead to the government starting removal proceedings in your case, so it is important that you act quickly and keep your address up to date with the government. Schedule a consultation today if you would like to discuss a denied immigration case.